Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Another poverty stricken kid..


I'm no philanthropist myself but the heart does ache to see a poor child begging for food or money or just for a few prayers for his/her ailing mother.  A lot has been written on what we can do for such underprivileged children and our own conscience knows the answer to such queries too. I'm just here to write on what that child goes through every morning, every afternoon, every evening, every night of his survival. How that child fights with the selfish, cruel world to live- every day of his life. 

I feel over-blessed when I think about the lives of these unlucky few in our society. Let's take a vow to help each one of them in any small way we can. 

I have written a short poem to convey what a poverty stricken child feels. How he is braver than every single one of us reading this. How he strongly and boldly faces difficulties in his life- daily, which we can't even think of undergoing.


Pray for me brother !!


I'm tired of the pitiful looks,
Of faded clothes and second-hand books,
I'm tired of begging for alms,
Of the empty stomach and the stretched out palms..


I hate the winters, I loathe summer heat,
The half-naked body, the boils on the feet,
The monsoon floods the heart with spite,
The so-called crop season, but not a grain in sight..


I silently pray for elections every night,
As politicians line up to give us food- to show their might,
It may not last forever, but it gives me new hopes,
To see another day, as life has me on the ropes..


I wish, at times, for a better life,
To have a home, two children and a wife,
To have a shelter and two meals a day, 
To feel wanted and loved, to feel complete- some day...

~Saurav Goyal

1 comment: